Wednesday 27th July 2016

Your personal tax account

Everyone can now access their personal tax information on the HMRC website. This can often be a much easier and quicker way to view information and tell HMRC about changes that may affect the tax you pay.

Currently, services include:

  • checking your income tax estimate and tax code
  • telling HMRC about changes affecting your company car
  • using the online forms available to claim tax deductible work expenses or tax that’s due back
  • seeing the progress of forms you have sent HMRC online
  • checking the expected level of your state pension
  • renewing your tax credits
  • telling HMRC about a change of address
  • registering for a paperless relationship with HMRC

Later this year, further services will be added, and you will be able to

  • view a tax calculation for the previous year(s)
  • make payments online
  • check employment history

If you employ people, you can make them aware of this service. Employees can make changes themselves online and don’t have to wait for their employer or HMRC to update changes. This should lead to employers dealing with fewer queries from employees.
You can register for a personal tax account at You will need your National Insurance number and your latest P60.


May deadline dates for HMRC and Companies House

 If you are involved in the running of a Small Business you should take note of these key VAT, PAYE, Income Tax, National Insurance, Corporation Tax and Companies House dates for May


Give yourself a gift and save tax

 A company can give gifts up to £50 in value to its directors and secretary, without creating taxable benefits. In other words, you can receive a gift from your company and reduce your corporation tax bill.


How paying rent for your home office can save you tax

 This is a great tax tip on how to take funds out of your company with little or no tax to pay