Tuesday 12th December 2017

Personal Tax: File Your Tax Return By 30 December

If you file your Tax Return on-line on or before the 30 December (note it is the 30 not the 31 December) and the amount of tax you owe is less than £3,000 you can have your tax collected through your PAYE code, rather than paying it all in one lump sum payment on 31 January.

This has great cash flow savings. 

Note, you won’t be able to pay your tax bill through your PAYE tax code if:-

  1. you don’t have enough PAYE income for HMRC to collect it
  2. you’d pay more than 50% of your PAYE income in tax
  3. you’d end up paying more than twice as much tax as you normally do


David is an employed dentist earning £50,000 a year.  He has income from property and has a tax payment of £1,500 to make to HMRC by 31 January. 

David's hard working accountant files David's Tax Return on 24 December and elects to have David's Tax collected through his PAYE code for the coming tax year.

David is delighted when he hears the news this delays his tax payment, spreading the tax collection over 12 months gives David more money to spare over the Christmas period.  David is told to budget for an extra tax deduction of £125 a month for the 12 months from April to March from his wages as a dentist.



May deadline dates for HMRC and Companies House

 If you are involved in the running of a Small Business you should take note of these key VAT, PAYE, Income Tax, National Insurance, Corporation Tax and Companies House dates for May


Give yourself a gift and save tax

 A company can give gifts up to £50 in value to its directors and secretary, without creating taxable benefits. In other words, you can receive a gift from your company and reduce your corporation tax bill.


How paying rent for your home office can save you tax

 This is a great tax tip on how to take funds out of your company with little or no tax to pay